View our Full Range of
View our Full Range of
Title: Head of Mechanical & Industrial Design
Location: Elland, Halifax
Who We Are & What We Need
A-SAFE is assembling a world class innovation and development team whose purpose is to find unresolved user pains together with disruptive opportunities and develop innovative product, service and business model solutions.
From our headquarters in West Yorkshire we are revolutionising workplace safety by developing mechanical, electronic and software products and need a Head of Mechanical & Industrial Design to help take us to the next stage of our innovation strategy.
Reporting to the Innovation & Technical Director and being a member of the Innovation & Development Senior Team, you will be responsible for defining departmental strategy and tactics whilst developing solutions to our validated opportunities.
The Mechanical & Industrial Design Team needs a strong leader to help coach the existing team, recruit new members and introduce modern processes and frameworks capable of delivering our strategy.
How You Can Help Us
• Work alongside colleagues in the Innovation & Development senior team, defining departmental strategy and tactics in line with company strategy and objectives.
• Support the embedding and growth of departmental and company cultures whilst we continue our rapid growth.
• Lead and manage a team of mechanical engineers, industrial designers, subject-matter-experts, test engineers and technicians whilst supporting them in creating industry leading products that are fit for purpose.
• Design and implement a world-class process for managing a wide variety of mechanical and industrial design projects.
• Build, develop, coach and mentor a team capable of delivering against the company’s and departments strategic and key objectives.
• Deliver projects on time and on budget, constantly ensuring the quality and technical approach of your team strives to be world-class.
Other Things We Expect You to Do
• Ensure your team is adequality resourced.
• Provide technical leadership.
• Manage department assets and tools.
• Performance manage your team.
• Provide technical leadership to the team and wider company.
• Develop and maintain supplier relationships.
• Live and breathe our pioneering culture.
• Drive internal and external collaboration.
• Foster and develop team spirit.
• Challenge the norm.
What We Would Like You to Bring to Our Team
• 10+ years’ experience in a mechanical and/or industrial design teams.
• Empathetic approach to understanding and identifying customers pains.
• Confident in technical procedures and documentation, including FEA, FMEA, tolerance stack analysis and mechanical testing.
• Familiar with innovative product development processes.
• History of successfully managing people and resources to deliver development programmes.
• Experience in creating mechanical concepts and taking them through development and validation to production.
• Confident user of CAD and their supporting tools /systems.
• A can-do, we can achieve anything mindset.
• Experience of working with a variety of materials and manufacturing processes.
What We Think Success in This Role Looks Like
You will have successfully implemented a process and framework capable of delivering our strategy whilst building a highly capable team that delivers on their commitments, all whilst seeing levels of collaboration and innovation that support our pioneering culture.